It was confirmed through our History book “Baie-D’Urfé 1686-1986”, that our Town actually had a police force in 1912. Arthur Quesnel was sworn in as constable and foreman of the Town at a salary of $2 a day. His duties were those of “Police Officer” and general working man of the public roads. Other Town caretakers and law officers succeeded him thereafter and continued to live at the Town Hall and serve the municipality. Unfortunately in May 1931, the incumbent Mr. J.B. Lunt, employed then by the Town as caretaker and Chief of police, was killed in an accident on chemin Lakeshore while riding his motorbike and sidecar in pursuit of an offender. In 1959, with the increasing population and town laws, a Police Department was set up. Chief Thomas Gray was hired that same year and Baie-D’Urfé had its first official police car with the Town logo.
The building and opening of MacDonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue brought a new impetus to the area. New subdivisions and roads were planned in Baie-D'Urfé. The war and Great Depression which ensued delayed these plans however. At the end of the war, some projects were resumed and new ones started both in Baie-D'Urfé and in the surrounding towns. Important non-residential ventures in the area also influenced the Town and its people, such as the construction of the Military Hospital and the Garden City Press, the latter being the first real industry in the area.
Cars were becoming very popular and traffic increased significantly on chemin Lakeshore. This was the main road to Ottawa and Toronto, and involved the use of the Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue ferry. The Galipeault Bridge was built in 1924, supplying the first road link between the Island of Montreal and Ile Perrot and other points west. It first opened as a toll bridge for both pedestrians and automobiles.
Growth was very slow in Baie-D'Urfé during the 1930s. Census results show an increase in population of only 25 people from 1931 to 1941. Times were hard and many houses were vacant. For some year-round residents however, the simple everyday pleasures made life very enjoyable. The year 1931 saw the first election since the Town's incorporation, previous Town councils having always been acclaimed.
At the onset of the 1940s, the effects of World War II were being felt by the town. Sons went to war and MacDonald College was used for wartime training. The north lane of the Metropolitan Boulevard was completed in 1940, but the south lane only opened in 1947. As a result, many convoys still used Lakeshore Road.
Many changes ensued with the end of World War II. As of 1946, there was a constant influx of new residents mainly on de la Pointe Caron, Lakeview Street, as well as Morgan and Lakeshore Roads. The Citizens' Association was founded on April 8th, 1947 with the mandate of promoting and maintaining citizen interest in town affairs and activities. The Association launched the local monthly bulletin, the "News and Views", in July of that year.
In the 1950s, Baie-D'Urfé experienced a growth rate which increased its population fivefold. As the farms gave way to residential development, by-laws had to be amended and services increased and improved. Until that time, schools and churches of the area had filled the needs of the population. Dorset School was built in 1958, followed by Oak Ridge School (actually Alexander von Humboldt) in 1959, and Corpus Christi School (now École Joseph Henrico) in 1964. St. Giles Presbyterian Church (now the Temple Dao En) was erected in 1957. The Whiteside Taylor Centre opened in 1969, offering pre-school education, a library, arts and crafts, and an office for the Victorian Order of Nurses.
Recreational facilities were also developed at the time. The Coop area (1954) provided many facilities. Many groups, associations and committees were set up: the Baie-D'Urfé Arts and Crafts and Library Association, the Figure Skating Club, the Boat Club, the Yacht Club and the Curling Club, to name a few. The Swimming Club used the lake. Two pools were then constructed in the early 1960s. In 1997 these were replaced by a new pool.